- Ripple CEO Brad Garlinghouse recently suggested the company would pursue an IPO after its U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) lawsuit concludes
- The SEC sued Ripple, the company behind the XRP (XRP-USD) crypto, in December 2020 for what it says was an illegal securities offering
- Ripple argues that XRP isn’t a security and isn’t subject to the same regulations
It seems an initial public offering (IPO) is still in the cards for Ripple, even as it navigates regulatory headwinds. Indeed, even in the midst of a heated U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission lawsuit, company leadership still has its eyes on a Ripple IPO.
As per a recent CNBC report, Ripple isn’t giving up its hope of coming public. Ripple, best known as the company behind XRP (XRP-USD), the sixth-largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization, has been under legal duress for more than a year.
The SEC accused Ripple and its executives of engaging in am illegal securities offering by failing to register roughly $1.4 billion worth of XRP as securities. The case presents major implications for the crypto world. Should the SEC win, it may set a precedent requiring cryptos be subject to stricter reporting and regulatory requirements. Should Ripple come out on top, it would mark a major win for the independence of decentralized digital assets.
As such, financial analysts, legal experts and crypto fans have been closely watching the saga unfold. The lawsuit finally seems to have a deadline, as the company has repeatedly hinted at its conclusion in 2023.
XRP has been largely unresponsive to the news, however. The coin remains 90% off its all-time high.
6 Things to Know About a Potential Ripple IPO
On the date of publication, Shrey Dua did not hold (either directly or indirectly) any positions in the securities mentioned in this article. The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer, subject to the InvestorPlace.com Publishing Guidelines.
More From InvestorPlace
- Stock Prodigy Who Found NIO at $2… Says Buy THIS
- It doesn’t matter if you have $500 in savings or $5 million. Do this now.
- Get in Now on Tiny $3 ‘Forever Battery’ Stock
The post Ripple IPO News: 6 Things to Know as the Company Behind the XRP Crypto Preps for Debut appeared first on InvestorPlace.