- GOVX stock is soaring because investors are focusing on the firm’s 2020 statement that the “viral basis” of its vaccine vector was approved for the prevention of monkeypox.
- The company’s CEO also recently stated that vaccines which have the same basis as that of GeoVax’s candidate “have been validated and registered for [the] prevention of Monkeypox.”
- President Joe Biden said that monkeypox is something that “everybody should be concerned about”
GeoVax (NASDAQ:GOVX) stock is soaring 25% in early trading after investors began focusing on the company’s vaccine pipeline. Of special interest to Wall Street today is a quote related to monkeypox by GeoVax’s chief scientific officer, Farshad Guirakhoo, in a 2020 press release
In the press release, Guirakhoo stated that “the viral basis of our vaccine vector (MVA) … has been recently approved by the FDA for prevention of smallpox and monkeypox diseases.”
And GeoVax Chairman and CEO David Dodd, in a LinkedIn post made two days ago, wrote that “MVA-based vaccines have been validated and registered for [the] prevention of Monkeypox virus infection.” He added that GeoVax’s shot, GEO-CM04S1, could prevent people from getting monkeypox.
Designed as a vaccine for Covid-19, the jab is “currently in two Phase 2 trials,” Dodd reported.
GOVX Stock Pops on Monkeypox Fears
Yesterday President Joe Biden said that “everybody should be concerned about” monkeypox. Today, however, the president noted that smallpox vaccines can prevent people from contracting monkeypox, adding that the U.S. has a sufficient number of such shots to “deal with” monkeypox.
A “presumptive” case of monkeypox has been discovered in Florida, the state’s officials said yesterday. If the person there does have monkeypox, it would be the third case of the virus in the U.S.
Monkeypox “typically circulates in Western and Central Africa,” ABC reported.
On Penny Stocks and Low-Volume Stocks: With only the rarest exceptions, InvestorPlace does not publish commentary about companies that have a market cap of less than $100 million or trade less than 100,000 shares each day. That’s because these “penny stocks” are frequently the playground for scam artists and market manipulators. If we ever do publish commentary on a low-volume stock that may be affected by our commentary, we demand that InvestorPlace.com’s writers disclose this fact and warn readers of the risks.
Read More: Penny Stocks — How to Profit Without Getting Scammed
On the date of publication, Larry Ramer did not hold (either directly or indirectly) any positions in the securities mentioned in this article. The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer, subject to the InvestorPlace.com Publishing Guidelines.
More From InvestorPlace
- Stock Prodigy Who Found NIO at $2… Says Buy THIS
- It doesn’t matter if you have $500 in savings or $5 million. Do this now.
- Get in Now on Tiny $3 ‘Forever Battery’ Stock
The post Why Is GeoVax (GOVX) Stock Up 25% Today? appeared first on InvestorPlace.